Friday, December 10, 2010

Traveling the Western Cape
















I'm officially done with my first week of traveling...or "holiday" as they call it in South Africa. The girls I was living with in Grahamstown, who are also doing the COST program, wanted to travel to Cape Town so luckily, we found an amazing friend here who offered to drive us there and show us places along the way (Maryke). We booked two hostels, Dijembe (Storms River) and Oasis Shanti (Oudtshoorn) along the route which is often referred to as the "Garden Route." The last night of our travels we stayed with Maryke's family in Paarl. 

During the 4 days we traveled the "Garden Route" we stopped in Port Elizabeth for breakfast at a place called Tiffanys (get it?), Jeffreys Bay, Tsitsikamma National Park, Fairview & L'Avenir & Waterford Wineries, Cango Caves, Ladismith and we were able to climb the Paarl Rock! Once we were on top, there was an amazing view! We came to Atlantic Point Hostel on Monday Dec 6 and since then I have gone to the beach most everyday, different beaches of course. My favorite is Clifton. It is an amazing beach with a gorgeous view. I have also gone out a few nights with friends from the hostel, and I went to a Braai with friends we met in Grahamstown! I have been having such an amazing time.

Kelly and her mother get here today and stay at Atlantic Point through the 15th! We are going to climb table mountain, hopefully go to some markets, and experience Cape Town. I am very lucky that the people that have been staying at the hostel have been so easy to bond with. I've known most for less then 3 days, but we have all had such great fun drinking wine & eating snacks while talking about our lives! So many people have been traveling for over a year or more. It definitely starts my mind thinking about where my next adventure will be....maybe Europe? France? Spain? Greece? Who knows but I do know one thing for sure. Traveling opens your eyes to so many things you haven't thought about before....and once you realize it, I can see how it is easy to become addicted. 


Well all for now, we leave Thursday at 5pm to head home....See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment