Tuesday, November 23, 2010

6 more days of teaching to go....

One of my adorable students....ready for "Going Green"

Helping the girls get ready for the play!
Well, only 6 more days of teaching to go & then I'm off to travel South Africa! We are starting by leaving for the garden route early on Dec 3rd. From there we will stop at Jeffrey's Bay, Plettenberg Bay, and Bungee jumping for Nichole and Leah who are CRAZY!! I wanted to go, but I talked myself out of it. Lame I know. We will be spending the night at a hostel called Dijembe and the next day we will go to Cango Caves and a few more beaches. 

The second night we are staying at Ocean Shanti and the next morning we will go visit some wineries. Maryke, the lovely woman who offered to drive us to Cape Town and travel with us, is letting us stay with her that night. 

The next day we will head to Cape Town and I will stay at Atlantic Point hostel from December 6-17. It's a long time to stay in one place, but there is a lot to do around Cape Town and I know this hostel is very safe. I am SO excited to travel. I can't wait to meet new people and see new things.

I can't believe that I am almost done. I am going to miss all of the children I have been working closely with...children at Kingswood and my ACE students at the Lebone Center. What I have gotten used to, since I have worked with many students throughout my year and a half of student teaching, is that you leave an impression on everyone you meet and teach, but in the long run, the kids are kids and they move on to meet new people who become a part of their lives. That is the best part. 

The hardest part is leaving the students who are in the township and may never get out. I wish I could just bring everyone back to Michigan with me. I'll just have to come back for some sort of community project and help within the townships. Yes, definitely. 

I have a long life to live and many places to see! It is also hard because I don't feel like I've helped at all in regards to the effects of the apartheid. I don't even know what needs to be done. The government in South Africa is so messed up, its crazy. The world is such a vast place....and you realize how many things need to be changed in the world you live in, when you travel. The U.S has access to about every resource possible. It makes me want to be done complaining about what we don't have and try to think of solutions to the problems that make inequalities so observable. 


Well, I will probably only write in this blog one more time before I travel! Then you all will have to wait for two weeks until I return home. I won't have access to a computer when I'm traveling...so Cheers everyone and Happy Holidays!!


Miss Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment