Monday, November 15, 2010

Feelings in Regards to Special Education

I have always believed that ignorance is the worst form of disrespect one can have for a different culture, ethnicity, religion or way of life. I am learning, however, that sometimes ignorance is present because opportunities to find out more about something are not offered to someone. I am finding that in Grahamstown, specifically at Kingswood, there is ignorance (unawareness, lack of knowledge) specifically in special education. The teachers believe that because there are two students with Aspergers Syndrome (in the Autism Spectrum Disorder, high functioning autism) they are an inclusive school.
I have had to do much explaining about what my degree is and entails and I am extremely flattered because many teachers want to take the time to find out more about how we provide inclusion in Michigan and what my job will look like as a Special Education teacher. After I witnessed an incident with students teasing a student with Aspergers, I was asked to teach a lesson on Respect in the classroom where the students are having a hard time understanding how to relate to the student with special needs. The staff does need to realize, however, that inclusion is a huge process. It entails educating the entire staff/administration/students/parents about how to work with students with special needs and it also means that teachers need to provide social skill training to both normal functioning peers and special education peers so appropriate behavior is displayed from all sides. High expectations are required from all sides and teachers need to believe that students with special needs can meet these as well.
The Headmaster talked to me and asked if I would be willing to talk to the student with Asperger’s mom about different strategies to use with him in regards to social skills. I told him most definitely and I appreciate that he is utilizing my specialty. It is wonderful to feel like I can help the school in different ways! He also wants me to provide a brief lesson to a few particular students on special education and respecting differences. I think Kingswood would really benefit from hiring a few Special Education teachers. I am so encouraged that the staff is genuinely interested in learning more about special education.

No comments:

Post a Comment