Monday, October 25, 2010

First Day of Teaching

Today was my first day of teaching at Kingswood College. Professor Baxen drove us (Nichole and Leah and Aegean) to the school and we went inside to debrief quickly with Headmaster Braans. He was very welcoming and warm. I was told I would be in a first grade classroom with a seasoned teacher who has taught for more then 40 years. Her name is Sandy. She is retired from Kingswood, but every seven years, teachers are allowed to go on leave for a term and she took over for the 1st grade teacher. The first thing I noticed when walking into the classroom was there was print and artwork everywhere! The room was very colorful and had such positive energy.

Sandy is an enthusiastic teacher and she has much knowledge and background to offer me. She was very interested in my Special Education background as well. We are both going to learn from one another.

We had assembly first thing in the morning, where students get ready for the day through song (teachers play piano and guitar). After the assembly, students began practicing for the play they will perform in two weeks for parents. It is called "Going Green" and it was written by the third grade teachers and is all about keeping South Africa free of litter as well as poaching. The students have quite high expectations put on them in regards to memorizing lines. I was very impressed.

After the assembly, students picked up where they left in their science curriculum. They are learning about trees (Coniferous and Deciduous). I was able to walk around and show students a globe and point out where Michigan is compared to South Africa and the long trek I made to get to SA to teach them =) I explained my pen pal idea for students to correspond with my third graders at Lincoln Elementary and Sandy loved the idea!

I met the environmental education teacher, his name is Mills, and he works with children with special needs in the township (from poor schools, all students are black he said) as well as he is paid through the program to work with many schools in Grahamstown. He also takes these students to national parks to work with the animals. He's an awesome safari guy! He said I would be able to help out with this program. I am soooooooo excited!!!! I need to explore the poor township areas more to feel like I am receiving the full experience of South Africa.

All for now,
Miss P

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a great experience! I also think it is great that you want to explore the poorer township areas to have a broad perspective of South Africa. Glad to hear your teacher is enthusiastic and has great ideas. I am sure you both will learn a lot from each other. Miss you girl. I think of you often. Miss and love ya!

    ReplyDelete